The Avoca Prairie is the largest tall grass prairie east of the Mississippi River and home to some of the area's finest pheasant hunting.
On May 18, 1936 a group of Avoca area sportsmen met and formed the Avoca Rod-Gun Club.
The Clubs purpose was to raise pheasants for release during the fall hunting season and to improve fishing opportunities in the area.
Years later the fishing program was dropped but the pheasant program flourished. In 1997 the Club added a rifle range for use by their members and individuals taking part in hunter's safety classes.
In the 70 plus years of the Club's existence, it has raised and released about 30,000 birds for the sporting pleasure of three generations of hunters and their dogs. Fund raising programs and membership dues provide the funds that allow the Club to continue in their efforts to insure quality pheasant hunting in the area.
NEW MEMBERS ARE ALWAYS WELCOME
Membership forms are available at most Avoca businesses or by contacting the secretery/treasurer.
John B. Harris - President
Michael Simpson - Vice President